Fort Terry, established in 1897 on Plum Island off the north shore of Long Island, was a strategic coastal fortification defending the entrance to Long Island Sound. Named after Civil War Union General Alfred Howe Terry, the fort commanded a vital position protecting commercial maritime routes. It later transitioned to animal and biological research use in 1952 before becoming part of the Plum Island Animal Disease Center. The site was recognized on the National Register of Historic Places in 2021 for its historical significance.