
Wolvesey Castle served as the principal medieval residence of the Bishops of Winchester, built around 1100 as an extensive keep and bailey castle on a site used during the Anglo-Saxon period. Though called a castle, it functioned as a luxurious palace constructed around 1110 by Bishop William Giffard and later extended by the powerful Henry of Blois during the 1135–1148 civil war between Queen Matilda and King Stephen. Within the enclosing walls sat a complex of buildings including a great hall, barns, stables, wool store, and prisons. A historic moment occurred on 25 July 1554 when Philip II of Spain and Queen Mary of England held their wedding breakfast here before proceeding to Winchester Cathedral. The castle was demolished in 1680 to build a Baroque-style palace alongside. English Heritage now maintains the ruins, open without charge during daylight hours.