
Virtsu Vasallilinnus, a medieval fortress in Virtsu that now lies in Lääneranna Parish of Pärnu County, served primarily to protect the harbor and control maritime traffic between the Estonian mainland and nearby islands. Likely constructed in the mid-15th century and documented in written sources from 1465, the castle featured distinctive square architecture with three-story circular flanking towers at its northeast and southwest corners, equipped with machicolations and crenellated parapets. Built primarily from dolomite stone with supporting materials, the complex included a two-story convent building surrounded by a single-story perimeter wall. Destroyed by Russian forces during the 1570s, the ruins preserve tangible evidence of medieval Saare-Lääne diocese fortifications and the strategic importance of Baltic coastal defense during the late medieval period.