
Swansea Castle originated as a timber-and-earthwork fortification founded by Henry de Beaumont in 1107 to govern the lordship of Gower and control a strategic crossing of the River Tawe. Repeatedly sacked by Welsh forces in 1116, 1192, and 1217, the castle was completely destroyed in the latter attack before being rebuilt in stone by William de Braose between 1221 and 1284. Henry Gower, Bishop of St David's, added the distinctive parapet with small arches in the 14th century. Though reduced to two remaining blocks today, the site underwent improvements in the 2010s to serve as a public space, preserving this important monument to medieval Welsh governance and Anglo-Norman control.