
Fort Emory, established December 14, 1942, in Coronado, California, was designated as a World War II sub-post of Fort Rosecrans. Named after Brigadier General William Helmsley Emory, who surveyed the U.S.-Mexico boundary in 1846, the fort commanded 412 acres at Coronado Heights. Armed with the 19th Coast Artillery, it featured multiple batteries including four 155mm guns and two 6-inch M1905 guns, with a two-gun 16-inch battery constructed in 1944. Deactivated in 1947 and transferred to the Navy in 1950, the site now operates as Naval Base Coronado's Silver Strand Training Complex, continuing its role in coastal defense operations.