
Castillo de Barcarrota, known as the Castle of Seven Towers, is a distinctive 13th-century fortress with a remarkable heptagonal layout, located in Barcarrota, Badajoz province. Built during the Reconquista, the castle's seven cubic towers and impressive Torre del Homenaje exemplify medieval military architecture. Successively controlled by the Templars, then the Order of Alcántara from 1461, the fortress underwent significant renovation and expansion in the 16th century under its new custodians. A remarkable transformation occurred in 1857 when an impressive bullring with 5,000-seat capacity was constructed within the castle's interior courtyard, uniquely blending medieval fortification with 19th-century recreational architecture as the town expanded around the fortress.